Saturday 15 December 2012

Foggy photos (part 1)

I've had an idea for quite some time to get a very specific shot in the pre-sunrise fog, however predicting fog is incredibly difficult at the best of times, but getting it thick enough to actually impact a photo is where I've struggled in the past.




Back on Braunstone Park I attempted a few fog shots, but the fog yet again wasn't thick enough and the subject just wasn't interesting enough to carry itself, so I moved on to Braunstone Hall which, having grown up around the area, holds a particular macabre fascination. Braunstone Hall is the one place you didn't want to find yourself at in the dark as a kid, and was a common dare to be around there at night due to the history and rife ghost stories.

So I attempted a couple of shots, but nothing too amazing.

2/1, f11, 200ISO

Turns out it's hard to elicit dread in a photo of something that not many people will associate to ghost stories and the like, so while I attempted I feel I yet again fell short.



8/1, f11, 200ISO

So next I thought I'd try creating a ghostly aura to the photo, I had the right idea, but the execution was bad.


All in all, not going too well for me is it?

I set off on a last ditch attempt to find something interesting to shoot before calling it a day; I hate to be beat and at least 1 usable photo is all I ask for, if I get more than that it's a bonus.

I eventually stumbled upon a trail I had forgotten about just a short walk from the hall; people were walking up and down, there was a council Jeep driving around as they do, and lots of disturbances, but I knew this would be the spot.

So I waited.

And waited...


And eventually, it all fell into place. The result?


1/1, f/11, 200ISO

So while it might not have been what I was initially out to get, I did get a photo I'm rather happy with. It really does go to show that real photographers don't give up when they don't get the photo they want, stick with it and you might get something that wasn't what you wanted, but something good non-the-less.


Next day off I get, I'll be heading down to try and get get that ever illusive fog shot I'm after!

No comments:

Post a Comment